I always look for green solutions for house cleaning, as I have told you in the past, so laundry could be no exception.
I got to know soap nuts after watching an episode of Shark Tank. This is an option 100 percent natural: the nutshells have a substance called saponin and its action is similar to the one of soap. After searching more information about the nuts in the Internet, I found out that they were for sale in Portugal and I decided to give them a try.
How to use
You only need to place in the machine drum a little cotton bag (it usually comes with the nuts), or a sock, with four nuts (20 gr.) that can be used for around four times if washing in cold water. In case you are washing at 40º you can use the nuts for two times and if at 60º only one time.
- They don´t contain toxic ingredients (for example, they are fragrance-free)
- They are anti-allergic, so great for babies and people with sensitive skin
- They are 100 percent biodegradable
- They are 2 in 1, in other words, they also act as a fabric softener
- They are cost-effective
- Saponin is more easily released in hot water
- They are not effective just by themselves in case of heavily soiled laundry and fabrics with stains
- As the nuts are fragrance-free, your clothes will only have a neutral smell (in the beginning it was a con for me, but now it´s a pro)
I would also like to give you 3 tips:
- Add 1/2 cup of baking soda to the machine drum whenever you have heavily soiled laundry
- Make a solution of nuts boiled in water, place it in the fridge inside a jar and use it whenever you want to increase the nuts´ effectiveness
- In case you want to add a “perfumed” smell to your clothes, add a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil to the nuts´ cotton bag before washing