It might seem incredible, but it´s in fact possible to find vegan alternatives to many ingredients such as egg whites. And you will not even believe how: using chickpea water! Have I ever mentioned how versatile legumes can be? 😉
Aquafaba, from the latin aqua (water) + faba (bean), is very easy to make and you can use it to prepare sweet recipes, such as meringue and chocolate mousse, or savory recipes like mayo and cheese.
Vegan Egg Whites (Whipped)
- 2 cups of chickpeas
- 8 cups of water
- 1 strip of kombu (of the size of your thumb)
- Place the chickpeas in water overnight*
- Next day discard the water, rinse the chickpeas and place them inside a pot over high heat together with the kombu**
- When the water starts to boil remove the white foam, reduce the heat to minimum and cover with a lid slightly ajar
- Wait around 90 minutes or until you check with a fork that they are cooked
- Drain the chickpeas and store the liquid (aquafaba) in the fridge inside a glass container to cool down
- When the aquafaba is cold whip it with a hand or stand mixer for around 15 minutes (depending on the machine) or until you obtain the desired consistency
Where are you going to first try aquafaba? 🙂
*If you want to skip steps 1-5 then you just need to buy a can of chickpeas and use the liquid. Personally, I prefer cooking the chickpeas not only because the taste is better, but also to avoid canned food.
**Kombu promotes the digestion of legumes.