Winter is coming. I am already using my wood stove, blankets became my best friends and warm clothes are all I need. However, a few days ago I decided to go to the farm without a jacket. It was already dark and, well, what was the result? I am struggling not to get sick! This is why I decided to write a post about my top cold and flu fighters. They help me boost my immune system and fight infections. Get to know them now:
1. Ginger: I prepare a ginger tisane when I (am starting to) have a flu and I drink it three times per day. In case I have a cold, I add to this tisane raw honey and some lemon drops.
2. Garlic: here at home we normally add garlic to our meals and I also eat a raw garlic clove once a week.
3. Echinacea: it is my favorite option when I (am starting to) have a cold. I buy a combination of echinacea and propolis, either in capsules or tincture, in a natural product store.
4. Raw honey: when I was little my mother used to give me a tablespoon of honey with some lemon drops to relieve my sore throat and this is what I continue doing today!
5. Eucalyptus: whenever I have a stuffy nose I do a steam inhalation with eucalyptus leaves. In case I have cough with expectoration, I prepare a tisane with the eucalyptus leaves, I wait it to cool down and then I gargle (I never drink it because I am not sure if it is poisonous) three times per day.
Besides having these fighters by my side, I also do the following:
- Slow down
- Rest/sleep more
- Eat warm food, such as soups
- Avoid raw food, such as salads and fruit, because they have a cooling effect on the body