When I was little my father followed a macrobiotic diet and brown rice, as you might imagine, was a must in our meals. However, I simply couldn´t stand its smell. At that time eating brown rice was basically a nightmare for me.
Whenever I got the chance I said bye-bye to brown rice. All I wanted was to eat something that I liked and white rice seemed a good option.
Brown and white rice come from the same plant and both of them had their hull, which is inedible, removed. However, in the case of white rice its bran and germ were also removed by milling and this is why it is a refined grain.
What are the benefits of eating whole grains? According to Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health:
- Whole grains are nutritionally more complete
- They are slow-absorption carbohydrates, so they maintain a steady blood sugar
- Their fiber content helps lower cholesterol and promotes the movement of waste through the digestive system
- Fiber may also prevent the formation of small blood clots that can cause heart attacks and strokes
- Whole grains contain essential minerals such as magnesium, selenium and copper that may protect against certain cancers
So I had two options: continue eating white rice or saying hello again to brown rice. But what about the smell? I found out, after searching in the Internet, that if I want the smell to go away I just need to pre-soak (or rinse) brown rice. Something so simple! What was my conclusion after this discovery? Besides being better for our health, brown rice is also…tastier!
If you would like to cook brown rice at home, then you will need:
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 2 cups of water
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 1 small onion
- Olive oil
Next, follow these steps:
1.Soak the rice overnight or for a few hours.
2. Peel and chop the onion and garlic cloves.
3. Grab a pot, add a dash of olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic cloves.
4. Add 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt to the pot.
5. Bring water to a boil over medium-high heat.
6. Add 1 cup of brown rice, turn the heat all the way down and cover the pot.
7. Wait 40-45 minutes and it is done.
I hope you enjoy it!